Hiding the Wireless Routers

24 Apr

Why all of the wiring for my entire apartment had to enter via the master bedroom is beyond me. Some recent rearranging of my bedroom furniture left my two routers totally exposed, with a mess of cords for each.   So how to hide…

I came across Sherry’s YHL post about using boxes for Cord Control, and decided to see if this could work for me.  Initially I tried one long box to fix both routers, but it took up too much dresser-top space. So I settle on these from the Container Store that fit one router each and could be stacked.  They had plenty to choose from, like this white shiny dot pattern (Item #10042930). The cardboard works great to allow the signal to beam through.

Hiding Boxes and Cords
First I cut holes in the back of both boxes.  A box cutter worked fine.  Then fished through the cords for each one.  Wireless router in the top box, Comcast in the bottom. It helped to coil and twist tie the cords inside so the lids don’t fling off.

Hiding the Routers and Cords
2011_04_24_routerboxes03
Now something witty for the label slots.  I didn’t think writing WIRELESS ROUTER would get me any design points.  Maybe some inspirational words?  After thinking about how helpless I feel if Comcast goes down, I thought “Lifeline…to Civilization” was appropriate!  Using a fancy font and hiding my dorky humor in FRENCH looked way better ~ thank you Google Translator.  :)

2011_04_24_routerboxes04
Hiding Wireless Routers

* UPDATE March 2014: This post is from April 2011 continues to get tons of comments years later!  Comments are both good and skeptical ~ many people are concerned with ventilation and overheating, as they should be!  I definitely suggest making the holes in the back nice and big for ventilation, and if you can make more on the bottom and sides depending on your set up, all the better. For the first few days or weeks I would just walk by and open the boxes to ensure nothing is getting too hot and to see if your ventilation is adequate. I still occasionally touch my hand to it as I pass by and everything is a-okay on my end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

31 Responses to “Hiding the Wireless Routers”

1. Shannon April 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

What a cool idea and it looks beautiful next to your new chair. I love when something with purpose also looks great!

2. Adrian May 12, 2011 at 11:55 am #

This is GENIUS!! I have an ugly wireless router on my kitchen countertop… I will be doing this for sure!! Thanks for sharing!

3. Doxallodesigns.blogspot.com May 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

4. Krafting With K May 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Ohhh I love it! I’ve been wanting to hide ours since its so hideous. Great idea!

5. Chrissi @ Making My Home May 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm #

This is brilliant!

6. Stacey August 5, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Just make sure the box is deep enough to have the antennas up (or get a router with a built in antenna) because it can effect your wireless range, and no metal boxes because that will effect the range too. :)

7. Jessica August 5, 2011 at 9:33 am #

I love this idea! Just saw it on Pinterest. I was wondering if the routers get too hot in the boxes. I would love to do this but I can’t afford a new router if I overheat mine!

8. Kerry Kobe August 5, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

I definitely worried about the heat thing, too! Would wander by periodically and do the hand touch test – it’s never really been above ‘warm’ and now it’s been a few months already and no issues. Mine actually have the antenna folded down but I agree if you were really going to be far from them you may want to make it deep enough to put the antenna up.

9. Jenna August 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

Love this! It’s brilliant and just the solution I’ve been looking for. Thanks!

10. heidi August 13, 2011 at 9:20 am #

This idea occurred to me as well – I love seeing the solution in action! :)

11. Acro August 21, 2011 at 10:34 am #

Extremely clever. And nicely done.
    Did you take in mind the heat of the devices though?

12. Acro August 21, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Sorry, for some reason not all comments were visible, so I didn’t see that the temperature thing has been answered. I ‘m still sceptical though, as my router (a baudtec) seems to get too hot.

13. Christy November 21, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Have you had any overheating with this setup? I love the idea but I’m afraid it might make the appliances too hot being covered like that.

14. Kerry Kobe November 23, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Lots of questions on heating so reporting back – now I am up to 7 months and no issues yet. I suggest making your holes in the back nice and big for ventilation. And for the first few days or weeks I would just walk by and put my hand on the boxes and feeling them. Warm but nothing more on my end so far!

15. Ana December 5, 2011 at 8:08 am #

This is a nightmare for ventilation! Those wire-mesh-type boxes may not be as pretty, but at least your equipment is well-ventilated that way.

16. Kerry Kobe December 5, 2011 at 8:18 am #

Ana, appreciate your reply. I haven’t had any issues but again it’s just for my personal use!

17. Tiffany December 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

Won’t the router get too hot in the box? I am thinking it might be a fire hazard.

• Van March 21, 2014 at 12:27 am #

I am worried about fire hazard too.

18. Kerry Kobe December 13, 2011 at 11:18 am #

I suggest punching a ton of holes in the bottom and sides of each box (I also stated before but I cut a very wide square in the back for the cords to exit) so nothing overheats. And opening the boxes a few times a day just to ensure that’s nothing is getting too hot is always a good idea, especially in the beginning to see if your ventilation is adequate. I still occasionally touch my hand to it as I pass by. The last thing you want is a fire hazard!

19. Chrissy January 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

my mouth just dropped. haha I LOVE this idea. Thank you for sharing!

20. Kristen May 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Hi! This is such a genius idea. I have a question though. Is the Comcast that you’re referring to your cable box?

• Kerry May 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

hey kristen,
      i was referring to the router that comes into my apartment from them, not the cable box under the TV. thanks for reading!

21. Lorraine June 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Love this. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

22. Atilla June 18, 2012 at 9:20 am #

It looks nice, but why not just hang it on the back of the dresser?! Then it takes up no space at all…

• Kerry June 18, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Neat idea! Unfortunately mine were pretty large and bulky. I fear that if I hung them on the back my dresser would have to be too far out from the wall…

23. Allyson September 28, 2012 at 10:14 am #

Why not get a box that is a bit bigger than the router for heat room and put a few extra vent holes in the rear of the box near the plug holes to help with ventilation. You don’t see the back. Alos you could put a small slit down the side of the box with netting, mesh or lace to allow more vent space.

24. Jennifer December 21, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

There should be no fire hazard here. They make charging stations, where power cords and plugs and adapters all go into a small box and there is no issue. As long as you make holes in the back big enough to vent it, you will be fine!

25. de April 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

I want to do this with wicker baskets, but my dh thinks it would overheat and interfere with signals. Does it interfere with signals?

26. Mel May 8, 2013 at 8:57 am #

Thanks so much, this is such a good idea, the idea I have at the moment looks hideous and untidy.

27. Sandy March 22, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

This is what DIY means . I’m very impressed by this and it’s one of times you say to your self Why didn’t I think of that? I’m very creative person too and this has been something I’ve been wanting to do is to hide all these ugly cords omg I can’t stand it . So this Idia is amazing!! And if you don’t mind I see that many people our concerned about the over heating . Which I’m one of them people but as I thought about it . How about cutting the whole back of the box out and having it open for ventilation ? Maybe that would be an Idia? Well thanx again for sharing this wonderful creative Idia. Will deffinitly be worth trying

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. DIY: 36 Genius Ways To Hide The Eyesores In Your Home - ASQRD | ASQRD - January 3, 2014

[...] See how she did this here. [...]